Congratulations to Mt. Lebanon High School senior, Nina Routh, on her selection for the Extra Effort Award presented by KDKA-TV and Allegheny Health Network. The broadcast of Nina's award presentation will be on Oct. 12 on KDKA during the 6pm hour with Bob Pompeani.
'Extra Effort' is awarded to a student who excels not only in the classroom -- but in athletics and in the community. The contest is open to junior and senior High School Student Athletes within the Pittsburgh area.
Nina was nominated for her excellent work on the court and off. Here are some of her accomplishments listed in her nomination:
Varsity Volleyball, Mt. Lebanon High School - Right Side Hitter, 3 year letter winner
Club Volleyball - Renaissance Volleyball Club and Pittsburgh Elite Volleyball Club. Outside Hitter and Right Side Hitter
- Blue Devil Scholar Athlete Award - Earned GPA of 3.5-3.99 during the volleyball season each year.
- National Merit Commended Scholar, 2017
- AP Scholar, College Board
- STEM Academy, Level 3 (highest level) member - Voluntarily elected optional Biological Science curriculum that introduces students to STEM fields through coursework, speakers, field trips, and shadowing
- National Honor Society - Executive Committee - Will help to plan and organize the Holiday Toy Drive benefiting the Salvation Army
- 3 apprenticeships through the Allegheny Intermediate Unit - Marine Biology, Epidemiology, and Engineering
- Nina has a 5.0 weighted and 3.8 unweighted GPA
- Varsity and Club Volleyball
- Science Bowl, Captain - Attends weekly practices and competitions which test science knowledge
- Tutor, Cross-Age Tutoring Program at Mellon Middle School - Tutors students after school
- Student Curriculum Advisory Board - Meet monthly for question and answer sessions with teachers in varying subjects to improve the curriculum
- St. Clair Hospital, Emergency Room Volunteer - Restocks medical supplies in ER suites and on mobile carts
- Student Ambassador, Union Project, 1,000 Birds Project at Children's Hospital, Outpatient Services. Helps children to create a clay bird and a message of hope for their communities. They leave their bird to be fired and take someone else's finished bird home
- St. Anne Church and Youth Group, Mission Trip Volunteer - travels in summers to perform community service. Has been to North Carolina, Wisconsin, and Maryland
- Volleyball Camp Assistant - helps with the team's summer camp for middle school girls and also for the Mt. Lebanon Recreation Department's volleyball program during the school year